Thursday, October 1, 2015

Pronunciation Goals

Here are my goals and plan for improving my Japanese speech:

My goals: 1. Pitch patterns: I want to learn the correct pitch patterns for the Tokyo dialect, including the gently descending pitches in a sentence or phrase.
2. Speed: Right now my Japanese is quite slow, so I want to learn to speak at a more natural pace.
3. Avoiding habits from English: In English, we vary syllable stress, and this has been transferring to my Japanese speech. I need to pay more careful attention and avoid stressing certain syllables, instead learning to keep my voice even.
4. Articulation/Accuracy: I want to improve my articulation, especially for sounds like らりるれろ and also making sure I hold vowels for the right amounts of time.

My plan:
1. Go to Japanese Table every week and make sure I talk a lot in Japanese!
2. Go to Shibata Sensei's office hours once every two weeks (more often when possible)
3. Do extra PE exercises (more than the required 5)
4. When I watch an anime, either shadow a character for a few scenes (about a minute for now?) or sing along to the opening song (at least the chorus).
5. Listen to at least 1 hour of Japanese audio per week (~10 min/day) to get used to the intonation. For this, I like finding news radio online, because I can also play it in the background while I do some of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment